Vol. 148, No. 34 — August 23, 2014
HOUSE OF COMMONS
Second Session, Forty-First Parliament
Standing Order 130 respecting notices of intended applications for private bills was published in the Canada Gazette, Part I, on October 19, 2013.
For further information, contact the Private Members’ Business Office, House of Commons, Centre Block, Room 134-C, Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0A6, 613-992-6443.
Clerk of the House of Commons
COMMISSIONER OF CANADA ELECTIONS
CANADA ELECTIONS ACT
This notice is published by the Commissioner of Canada Elections, pursuant to section 521 of the Canada Elections Act, S.C. 2000, c. 9.
On July 23, 2014, the Commissioner of Canada Elections entered into a compliance agreement with the City of Kawartha Lakes, pursuant to section 517 of the Canada Elections Act. The text of the compliance agreement is set out in full below.
August 5, 2014
YVES CÔTÉ, Q.C.
Commissioner of Canada Elections
Pursuant to section 517 of the Canada Elections Act, S.C. 2000, c. 9 (the “Act”), the Commissioner of Canada Elections (the “Commissioner”) and the City of Kawartha Lakes (the “Contracting Party”) conclude this compliance agreement, the terms of which are as follows:
1) The Contracting Party declares that:
- a. On May 1, 2013, the Contracting Party, through the actions of Richard E. McGee, the Mayor of the City of Kawartha Lakes, purchased a ticket for Mr. McGee’s attendance at a federal political fundraising event hosted by the Conservative Party of Canada Peterborough Electoral District Association (the “Association”).
- b. Pursuant to section 408 of the Act, of the $600 ticket price for the fundraising event, $515 constituted a contribution to the Association.
- c. Once the terms of subsection 404(1) of the Act were brought to the attention of the Association, the entire ticket price of $600 was remitted to the Contracting Party by the Association.
2) For the purposes of this compliance agreement, the Contracting Party acknowledges that:
- a. The Association was at the relevant time a registered association as defined by the Act.
- b. Pursuant to subsection 404(1) of the Act, only an individual who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident is permitted to make a contribution to a registered association.
- c. Under paragraphs 497(1)(i) and 497(3)(f.1) of the Act, it is an offence for a corporate entity to make a contribution to a registered association in contravention of subsection 404(1) of the Act.
- d. A contribution made by the Contracting Party to a registered association could constitute an offence under paragraphs 497(1)(i) and 497(3)(f.1) of the Act.
3) The Contracting Party acknowledges and accepts responsibility for the acts described in this compliance agreement.
4) The Contracting Party acknowledges that the Commissioner has advised it of its right to be represented by counsel and that the Contracting Party has had the opportunity to obtain counsel.
5) The Contracting Party undertakes to:
- a. put in place a procedure to inform its employees and agents of the content of subsection 404(1) of the Canada Elections Act and other relevant provisions; and
- b. provide the Commissioner, within ninety (90) days of signing this agreement, evidence that this term of the agreement has been complied with.
No Guilty Plea or Record of Conviction
6) The Contracting Party understands that this acknowledgement of non-compliance does not constitute a guilty plea in the criminal sense and that no record of conviction is created as a result of admitting responsibility for the activity that constitutes an offence.
7) The Contracting Party consents to the publication of the text of this compliance agreement in the Canada Gazette and on Elections Canada’s website in accordance with section 521 of the Act.
The Commissioner, taking into account that the Contracting Party received a refund from the Association, accepts the statements, admissions and undertaking of the Contracting Party.
Signed on behalf of the Contracting Party,
in the city of Lindsay,
this 29th day of May, 2014.
Chief Administrative Officer
Authorized Signing Officer, the City of Kawartha Lakes
Signed by the Commissioner of Canada Elections,
in the city of Ottawa,
this 23rd day of July, 2014.
Yves Côté, Q.C.
Commissioner of Canada Elections
Name and Address of Witness
P.O. Box 9000, 26 Francis Street
Lindsay, ON K9V 5R8