Vol. 150, No. 14 — July 13, 2016
SOR/2016-178 June 22, 2016
CANADA CONSUMER PRODUCT SAFETY ACT
P.C. 2016-605 June 21, 2016
His Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister of Health, pursuant to section 37 of the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act (see footnote a), makes the annexed Charcoal Regulations.
1 The following definitions apply in these Regulations.
charcoal means charcoal for use in domestic cooking or heating. (charbon de bois)
principal display surface means the surface of a container containing charcoal that is displayed or visible at the time the charcoal is sold to the consumer or when it is used. (aire d’affichage principale)
2 The container in which the charcoal is sold to the consumer must, on each principal display surface, carry a warning in English and in French that meets the requirements of section 3 and clearly conveys the following information:
- (a) toxic fumes may occur and cause death if the charcoal is burned without adequate ventilation; and
- (b) the charcoal should not be used for cooking or heating indoors without a ventilation system that carries all the fumes outdoors.
3 (1) The warning must
- (a) begin with the words “Warning” in English and “Avertissement” in French;
- (b) be easily legible and shown clearly and prominently;
- (c) be set apart from other information or visual images on the container; and
- (d) be enclosed by a borderline.
(2) The warning and the borderline enclosing it must be of a colour that contrasts sharply with the background on which they are shown.
Typeface and letter size
(3) The warning must be shown in bold-face or medium-face type with
- (a) the words “Warning” and “Avertissement” in letters of not less than 9 mm in height; and
- (b) the information set out in paragraph 2(b) in letters of not less than 4.5 mm in height.
4 The Hazardous Products (Charcoal) Regulations (see footnote 1) are repealed.
Coming into Force
5 These Regulations come into force on the day on which they are registered.
N.B. The Regulatory Impact Analysis Statement for these Regulations appears following SOR/2016-164, Asbestos Products Regulations.