Canada Gazette resources
On this page
Search for terms used on the Canada Gazette website, browse provincial and territorial gazettes and visit helpful websites.
- A topics
- B topics
- C topics
- D topics
- E topics
- F topics
- G topics
- H topics
- I topics
- J topics
- K topics
- L topics
- M topics
- N topics
- O topics
- P topics
- Q topics
- R topics
- S topics
- T topics
- U topics
- V topics
- W topics
- X topics
- Y topics
- Z topics
NoteThe purpose of these definitions is to help you understand the terms that the Canada Gazette uses. These are not intended to be legal definitions and should not be treated as such.
Topic(s) list beginning by the letterA
- A law made by Parliament or a provincial legislature. The process of making an Act of Parliament begins when the proposed Act, or bill, is introduced in either the Senate or the House of Commons. A bill becomes law if it is passed by both houses and receives royal assent.
- A signed document bearing the official seal of the Commissioner for Oaths of Ontario. It states officially that a notice was published in Part I of the Canada Gazette on a specific date. Lawyers may need this document in court as evidence that a notice was published.
- Files containing the majority of the Canada Gazette issues published between 1841 and 1997.
Topic(s) list beginning by the letterC
- Consolidated index
- A directory of all the regulations, statutory instruments and other documents published in the Canada Gazette, Part II, since 1955 that remain in force today.
- The consultation process involves the pre-publication of proposed regulations in Part I. The process gives various interested groups and individuals, as well as Canadians in general, a final opportunity to review and comment on proposed regulations at the last stages of the regulation-making process, before they are enacted and published in the Canada Gazette, Part II.
Topic(s) list beginning by the letterE
- Extra edition
- A special edition to the Canada Gazette, Part I or Part II, published on any date other than the regular publication date of the part in question to respect certain legal requirements. Extra editions: Consult the 8 criteria associated with the publication of an extra edition in Part I or Part II
- An extract is a reproduction of a notice, regulation or order as it is published in Part I or Part II of the Canada Gazette. It is available free of charge at the Canada Gazette Directorate in a Portable Document Format (PDF), with its own cover page.
Topic(s) list beginning by the letterG
- Governor in Council
- The Governor General of Canada acting by and with the advice and consent of the Queen’s Privy Council of Canada (that is, Cabinet).
Topic(s) list beginning by the letterH
- HTML links
- An HTML link is provided by the Canada Gazette Directorate to some clients to directly access a notice, a regulation or an order if they have specific requirements for it (for example, the preparation of a press kit for the announcement of a new regulation by a minister, or the creation on their website of a link to their notice that will be activated at the same time as its publication in the Canada Gazette). The HTML link is sent to the email address provided in Section 1 of the insertion request and is activated only when the notice is actually published.
Topic(s) list beginning by the letterI
- Instrument of advice
- Letter from the Prime Minister to the Governor General recommending certain actions. Examples include cabinet shuffles or prorogation of Parliament.
Topic(s) list beginning by the letterM
- The responsibility, delegated to the Canada Gazette Directorate by the Queen’s Printer, to produce and publish the Canada Gazette, Part I, Part II and Part III, within the time period prescribed in the Statutory Instruments Act and the Statutory Instruments Regulations.
Topic(s) list beginning by the letterO
- Order in council
- A legal instrument made by the Governor in Council pursuant to a statutory authority or, less frequently, the royal prerogative. All orders in council are made on the recommendation of the responsible Minister of the Crown and take legal effect only when signed by the Governor General.
Topic(s) list beginning by the letterP
- The legislative branch of government composed of the Sovereign (represented by the Governor General), the Senate and the House of Commons.
Topic(s) list beginning by the letterQ
- Quarterly index
- Quarterly index to the Canada Gazette, Part I. It is published 4 times a year: at the end of January, April, July and October. It contains the title of all notices that were published during the previous three-month period.
Topic(s) list beginning by the letterR
- A law made by a person or body that has been granted (delegated) law-making authority. This term is used both to:
- indicate a specific type of delegated legislation
- refer generically to all forms of delegated legislation
Topic(s) list beginning by the letterS
- Statutory instrument
- A regulation, order, commission or other instrument authorized by an Act of Parliament.
- Statutory Instruments Act, Definitions: Consult the most specific definition of the term
- Statutory Instruments Act
- The act that confers the responsibility for the publication of the Canada Gazette to the Queen’s Printer.
- Statutory Instruments Regulations
- The regulations establishing the manner in which the Canada Gazette is published and the publication dates.
- It is a document on a specific subject published in a gazette, but with a separate cover page and pagination, or alone if it is too large.
Topic(s) list beginning by the letterT
- Treasury Board
- Canada’s statutory cabinet committee. The Treasury Board’s recommendation or approval is required for regulations that either:
- are liable to have significant financial implications through their enabling statute
- require its approval or recommendation through their enabling statute:
- for example, regulations that impose new user fees or raise or lower existing fees under the Financial Administration Act
Provincial and territorial gazettes
- British Columbia
British Columbia Gazette
- New Brunswick
The Royal Gazette
- Newfoundland and Labrador
The Newfoundland and Labrador Gazette
- Northwest Territories
Northwest Territories Gazette
- Nova Scotia
Royal Gazette, Part I and Royal Gazette, Part II
The Ontario Gazette
- Prince Edward Island
- Quebec (in French only)
Gazette officielle du Québec
The Saskatchewan Gazette
The Yukon Gazette
- House of Commons and Senate of Canada: Find Parliament of Canada information on topics such as Chamber business, committees, current bills, inquiries and motions
- Justice Laws website: Browse all federal Acts and regulations maintained by the Department of Justice
- Orders in council database: Browse all formal recommendations of cabinet approved and signed by the Governor General since 1990
- Government of Canada Publications: Browse the catalogue of more than 275,000 titles
- LEGISinfo: Find information about legislation that is currently before Parliament
- LégisQuébec: Legal professionals can browse the revised statutes and regulations of Quebec (login required)
- Search for an unclaimed balance: A free service provided by the Bank of Canada, this information used to be published in the Canada Gazette once a year
- The Canada Gazette (1841 to 1997): Browse old issues of the Canada Gazette, starting in 1841
- Date modified: